Role: General Manager – Full-time
Salary: circa €90,000
Location: Principally onsite at Party Head Office, Dublin, min. 3 days per week
Type: Dáil-term contract with possibility for extension
The Social Democrats is a relatively new party, unhindered by the past and the old style of politics. We already have six TDs and 21 councillors and have active branches and members across the country. We are very ambitious for Ireland’s future. We want to ensure it is a republic in which every person has opportunity and dignity.
The General Manager’s role is an instrumental one. It comprises the management of the Party’s Head Office, the Party’s organisational and administrative affairs, and the development of the Party, branches, and membership.
The General Manager is responsible for maintaining oversight of, and ensuring regulatory compliance and good governance across, all organisational and administrative activities. The General Manager reports to the Party’s National Executive in respect of all operational matters and to the Party Leader in respect of political matters and is accountable to both.
The Social Democrats are looking for an organised General Manager who shares our ambition to build the party for Ireland’s future as part of a wider team of elected representatives, political staff, and activist members.
Key Terms and Conditions
Given its nature and scope, the role requires a high degree of flexibility in the hours and times of work. The position is principally based in the Party’s Head Office in Dublin 2 a minimum of three days per week. The contract is for a specified purpose and is linked to the current Dáil term. The salary will be circa €90,000.
- Leading and managing an efficient and effective Head Office, and team of staff, that support the Party Leader, Parliamentary Party, membership, and the Party’s strategic objectives
- Collaborating to ensure there is close alignment between the activities of Head Office; the Parliamentary Party and its staff; the National Executive; other elected representatives; Party branches; and wider membership (including through the Party’s National Council and National Conference)
- Managing and developing the internal processes, policies, and procedures in financial affairs, human resources, operations, and IT systems of the Party in compliance with relevant legislation (e.g., SIPO, data protection, child protection, etc.)
- Supporting the development of the Party membership and branches to conduct winning campaigns and elections
- Planning and overseeing key Party member events, including the Party’s National Conference
- Acting as secretary to the National Executive, Parliamentary Party, National Council, and National Conference, as may be determined by those bodies under the Party’s constitution
- Other responsibilities that may be appointed by the Party Leader or National Executive
Demonstrable experience in:
- Leadership and management of a high-performing team in a business or other organisation (e.g., NGO, non-profit, charity, trade union, campaigning organisation, etc.)
- Managing finance, HR, IT, and operations functions
- Event, project, and/or campaign management
- Managing multiple stakeholders in a political environment
Essential qualifications, skills, and knowledge
- A 3rd level qualification or equivalent, with a minimum of 4 years relevant work experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the Irish political system, the workings of Irish political parties and the Irish electoral system
- Proven commitment to the principles of social democracy
- A track record of integrity, reliability, and strong work ethic
- Good people and stakeholder management skills
- Submit an up-to-date CV with a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date: Friday 22nd September 2023
- Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds in politics are strongly encouraged to apply.