Parliamentary Assistant (full-time)
Job Details: Deputy Gary Gannon is seeking to recruit a full-time Parliamentary Assistant (PA) to support him in his work in Dublin Central. The Parliamentary Assistant will work closely with the Secretarial Assistant as well as other members of the party, to provide an exemplary service to Gary’s constituents and to support Gary’s parliamentary work.
The potential candidate would ideally have previous experience within a relevant policy/research/communications role. The role will primarily be based between Leinster House and the constituency office in Dublin 7, with some remote working options available.
● Being the primary support on all legislative, political, and administrative matters.
● Regularly liaising with the media, State agencies, local government, and community organisations.
● Researching legislative and policy issues as required.
● Analysing, evaluating, and interpreting data to ensure Gary is accurately informed on key issues.
● Drafting speeches on legislation, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
● Managing Gary’s social media channels, developing and updating relevant content and maintaining online engagement.
● Efficiently handling constituency queries via different channels (e-mail, phone, letter, social media) with the support of the Secretarial Assistant.
● Developing literature on issues of both national and local importance.
● Planning and organising constituency events.
● Any other ad hoc duties as required.
● A relevant third-level qualification.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Experience with conducting research.
● Excellent ICT skills with proficiency in managing websites and social media.
● Knowledge and understanding of the Irish political system, the workings of political parties and the Irish electoral system.
● An alignment with, and commitment to, the mission and values of the Social Democrats.
● An understanding of public policy and legislation.
● An independent and creative thinker.
● Ability to work well both independently and within a team.
● Comfortable working within tight deadlines, and in a changing environment.
● Flexibility with working hours as constituency business frequently involves evening and weekend events.
Salary: €41,092 – €52,200 (dependent on experience).
Pay scales are set out by the Houses of Oireachtas, not the individual TD. Overtime is available.
It is important to note on applying for this position that the PA contract is subject to end when an election is called.
Application Details: Please e-mail a letter of application along with a CV to email@example.com by Friday 29th July 2022 at 5pm.