No stone should be left unturned in the investigation into the death of a Congolese man in Dublin last week, according to Social Democrats justice spokesperson Gary Gannon TD.
Deputy Gannon said:
“A video circulating on social media which depicts an incident surrounding the death of a Congolese man, Yves Sakila, on Henry Street on Friday is deeply disturbing and distressing.
“My thoughts are with Mr Sakila’s family and friends, who are grieving at the moment. This incident has also spread fear and upset throughout our migrant community.
“There must be an immediate, comprehensive and transparent investigation into all of the circumstances which may have led to Mr Sakila’s death.
“The Congolese community is still reeling from comments made by former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern last week, who said: “the ones I worry about are the Africans… we can’t be taking in people from the Congo and all these places.’
“The migrant community in Ireland is suffering from rising hate and discrimination – which the government has done very little to combat. Meanwhile, Mr Ahern has still not apologised for his outrageous comments, which is totally unacceptable.
“My thoughts and solidarity are with Ireland’s migrant community at this difficult time.”
May 19th, 2026