Over the last 30 years, Ireland has made significant progress in terms of LGBTQI+ equality and acceptance. The successful Marriage Equality Referendum in May 2015, and the Gender Recognition Act of 2015, were important moments on that journey of change.
As a new party our history is not only rooted in these achievements but empowered by it.
But there are still rights and struggles to be won to ensure that all LGBTQI+ people and their families are treated equally across all aspects of Irish society. Right now, Ireland is ranked 16th in Europe in terms of LGBTQI+ human rights and policy protections. We support the goal of getting to No. 1 and making this the best place in Europe to be LGBTQI+.
Our LGBTQI+ Priorities
- Effective Hate Crime Legislation to protect members of the LGBTQI+ community
- Enhancement of the Equal Status Act and Employment Equality Act to provide explicit protections for LGBTQI+ people.
- Appropriate healthcare for the LGBTQI+ community
- Ensuring the end of conversion practices
- Introduction of a second LGBTQI+ National Inclusion Strategy with enhanced resources
Find Out More
You can read more about our policies and plans in our LGBTQI+ Rights policy document, linked below.